Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Six Degrees of Bloggeration

Someone should start a blog that will simply show us how many known blogs, in multiples of six, it would take to connect all the blogs in the blogosphere.

Want to get in on blogging but don't have a good idea to start your blog? This one will be simple:

1. Just start the blog with a brief explanation and list six blogs you know of. All the better if you like them. You're more apt to get the response needed to make this cool blog experiment work.

2. In the meantime, contact those six blogs and say, "Hey, check out this cool blog experiment! I just mentioned your blog and five others. Please take a moment to come over to my blog and leave a comment listing six blogs you know of. All the better if you like them."

3. Start a list on your blog of all the newly referred groups of six blogs, then contact those blogs and and ask the same of them. It would be great if you could ask that no one duplicate the others on the list already, if at all possible. Though, I still think it's okay if there is crossover. It's still a connection, even if it doesn't offer another degree. But limiting repeats would be best.

4. Obviously, you'll need to continue to list them all out on your blog. I think a simple list in order of a) when the blogs were referred and b) by which other blog would be the best way to start. Sure, some sort of a weblike organization chart depiction would be interesting, but it won't be necessary. A separate alphabetical list would also be a good idea, so bloggers could look for their own blogs and others they know of on the list.

That's all. It's a big ole blog chain. Your blog will probably become famous, at least among bloggers, if you take this idea and run with it. Oh, and please mention my blog on your first list of six!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh - it is SO on!!!!!! I got out of my blog visitation habit last week...hell, I got out of lots of good habits last week.

Onward...it's a new day, after all!
am

Girl on a road said...

Hi Faith,

See what you've started with your big idea.....

My good friend, Faith (who also happens to be an amazing Pilates coach and wonderful Mom, Wife and all-around human) had a great suggestion:

Someone should start a blog that will simply show us how many known blogs, in multiples of six, it would take to connect all the blogs in the blogosphere. I suspect she is right - we are all a lot more interconnected than we could imagine.

Here's how this will work:

On my blog, I've listed out 6 blogs that I visit often. (yours is on there!)

I've asked these 6 bloggers to visit my blog (girlonaroad.blogspot.com) and list 6 blogs that they know of as a comment.

And, you should send me "YOUR 6". Then you should contact "YOUR 6" and ask them to post "THEIR 6" back on MY blog as a comment (and including in their post who referred them)....and so on.

I'll keep track of the lists of 6 blogs as they come in, including date of addition and which other blog referred them to the 6-degrees experiment. I will try to find a way to draw a "hub map" like what they have on "The L Word", in the meantime.

We need to try to limit repetition, for this to be most effective. So if you see a blog on our Bloggeration list, below, pick a different one.

Hope to hear from you!
annemarie (grasshopper)
(girl on a road)