Someone should start a home repair and maintenance company with an all-female staff of field workers. Women are a rarity in the home improvement, construction and appliance repair worlds. I know there are some very successful female car dealers and auto mechanics, but still it's a novelty. All of these male dominated areas could become springboards for a chain of expert service providers who happen to be girls. What a niche! Home inspections, too. If someone really wanted to exploit the female brand aspect, they could do it by outfitting the ladies with neat pink toolbelts and toolboxes.
Women place a large percentage of the calls in for in home handyman and repair services. There are plenty of single female households and stay at home moms who would appreciate the extra security of letting a woman in the door to do the work instead of a guy. And surely there are plenty of husbands who might find it appealing to have a woman with an eye for detail putting up chair rail and installing the custom cabinets, whether or not they are home during the job. It's also a quirky feel-good kinda thing. Like mannies (men nannies) and male maids (not mermen).
Actually, there already are a couple of tool manufacturers that make "girl-sized" grips for power drills and stuff. The market is there. Everywhere. I see a national franchise in the future.
Chicks with....tools.
Friday, May 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Faith - Jillian and I talked about this exact idea not so long ago. I think our brainstorm was more in the area of a female-friendly auto repair (where there would be fun magazines to read that women actually enjoy reading, plus nice beverages), with customer service folk who speak regular english that even non-mechanics understand, who clearly spell out what is absolutely needed vs what would be just nice to do for posterity's sake. Same sort of thing, but more stemmed from the fact that, as women, we always feel like car places don't take us seriously and jerk us around.
I love this area of ideas. I go to a festival every summer where they use women for every job possible. Just about the only service not provided by a woman-owned vendor is the service that sucks the poo out of the porta-potties. Go figure.
see you soon!
ams
While I am more tech oriented, I work as a contractor, and will do about anything. ( I hate to admit that I understand wastewater plumbing though....)
I have heard of a female drywall and painting company. They GET contracts because women presume that they will clean up after themselves! What a welcome relief.
Actually, when I do consumer level PC or TV repairs, many women are more comfortable on one level, but there is the other side. Women notice things. Most women have learned that men don't notice female sorts of things. If the woman of the house was expecting a guy, she picked up to guy standards, not worrying... Some, when they see a female, I can see a level of panic about judgment. (Calm down, I'm rarely judging on that!)
Post a Comment